Al Sturgeon, a lifelong Sioux Cityan, has been practicing law in the Sioux City area for over 25 years, starting the practice in 1991. Al received his high school degree from East High (1974), his college degree from Morningside College (1979) (summa cum laude) and graduated from the University of Iowa Law School (1989). While working his way through college, Al was employed for eight years at the Wonder Bread Bakery as a production worker.
Before founding Al Sturgeon Law, Al served in the Iowa State House of Representatives from 1980-1986 and was an Iowa State Senator from 1987-1994. He is also involved in several professional organizations including the Iowa Association of Workers’ Compensation Attorneys (IAWC) and the National Association of Social Security Representatives (NOSSCR).
Ron Pohlman is a native of western Iowa. He was born in Sioux City and grew up on a grain/livestock farm near Castana and graduated from West Monona High School in Onawa in 1981. After high school Ron studied Ag Business at Iowa State University an obtained his Bachelor of Science degree from ISU in 1985. After college he went to law school at Drake University and graduated in 1988. While attending Drake he clerked for the workers’ compensation commissioner and after graduating he began work as an administrative law judge for Job Service hearing unemployment compensation appeals. After 10 years of work as an ALJ for Job Service and several thousand unemployment appeal hearings, Ron worked as an ALJ for the Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals hearing cases in involving Medicaid, Food Stamps, Promise Jobs, child and adult abuse registry. In November of 2000 Ron returned to workers compensation when he became a deputy workers’ compensation commissioner. Ron heard over 800 cases as a deputy commissioner until he retired in September 2015 and went into private practice in workers’ compensation insurance defense. Ron left the defense practice in West Des Moines to return to western Iowa and to exclusively represent injured workers.
Ron has also taught college courses in business, law and public administration for the past 25 years at Des Moines Area Community College, Upper Iowa University and Regis University. Ron has earned a Master of Business Administration (2000) and a Master of Science in Adult Education (2001) from Drake University.
He and his wife, Kim, reside in Sergeant Bluff. They have two grown children who live in Iowa City.
Here are some of Ron’s arbitration decisions that were reviewed by the Iowa Court of Appeals and Supreme Court:
- ABCM Corp. v. Manning, 801 N.W.2d 627 (Iowa Ct. App. 2011).
- Belger v. United Parcel Service, 778 N.W.2d 66 (Iowa Ct. App. 2009).
- International Paper Co. v. Bueker, 771 N.W.2d 652 (Iowa Ct. App. 2009).
- OTC Holdings v. Prucha, 758 N.W.2d 839 (Iowa Ct. App. 2008).
- Roberts Dairy v. Pastour, 759 N.W.2d 812 (Iowa Ct. App. 2008).
- Woodbury County v. Clausen, 8-330 / 07-1212, Filed October 1, 2008
- John Deere Des Moines Works v. Gray, 7-941 / 06-2001, Filed March 14, 2008
- Fogle v. Pella Corporation, 8-143 / 06-1746, Filed May 14, 2008
- Midwest Drywall Co. v. Deffebaugh, 758 N.W.2d 840 (Iowa Ct. App. 2008).
- DICO v. Employment Appeal Board, 576 N.W.2d 352 (Iowa 1998).
- Craddock v. Keystone Nursing Care Center, 705 N.W.2d 299, 304 (Iowa 2005).
- Curtin v. Eberhart Construction, 674 N.W.2d 123, 125 (Iowa 2004).
Paralegal Gina Heimgartner has been with the Al Sturgeon Law Firm since 2009 and involved in the legal field since 1992. When you call our office the voice you hear will be Gina’s.
She’s the glue that holds the firm together utilizing years of experience, common sense, and a calm demeanor to get things done, and get them done properly.